Technology has transformed the way we live. From smartphones to tablets, laptops to smartwatches, technology is everywhere. And as the world becomes increasingly digital, it’s important that we don’t leave older adults behind.
As a company that specializes in providing personalized tech guidance to older adults, Smarter has seen firsthand the positive impact that this level of support can have on their quality of life. This need can be even more pressing in senior living communities, where residents bring 5-7 devices with them on average when they move in. Delivering hands-on, customized, and patient assistance to help them maximize their technology usage is crucial.
Here are eight reasons why senior living communities should prioritize personalized tech support services for their residents:
- Combat social isolation: Social isolation and loneliness can be significant problems for older adults in senior living communities. Technology can be a powerful tool to combat these issues, but only if it’s used effectively. By providing dedicated tech support, residents can learn how to adopt tools like video chat, social media, and voice assistants, to stay in touch with family and friends, even when they cannot visit in person.
- Better manage resident health: Health apps, wearables, and telemedicine can help residents monitor their health and communicate with healthcare professionals. However, despite the many benefits that telehealth can provide, some of these new advancements can be challenging to comprehend and downright frustrating for some older adults. This is where hands-on support can make a significant difference. Technology advisors can teach residents how to use these solutions effectively, which can improve their quality of care while reducing the burden on caregivers and staff.
- Increase resident independence: One significant advantage of technology adoption for older adults in senior living communities is increased independence. With the guidance of tech support professionals, residents can learn to accomplish tasks on their own that they may have previously relied on others for. By being able to use technology more effectively, they can regain a sense of control over their lives, which can have a positive impact on their overall well-being and sense of self-worth.
- Boost occupancy: Personalized tech support services can serve as a market differentiator for senior living communities, as occupancy rates continue to be a concern for providers. Families and residents are actively seeking out communities that prioritize innovation and are adaptable to meet their changing needs. By offering services like these, communities can set themselves apart from the competition and appeal to those who value modern solutions to improve their quality of life.
- Ease the burden on caregivers and staff: Staff members often find themselves playing the role of tech support proxies for residents, which can take time away from other important responsibilities. Bringing on dedicated tech support resources can relieve this burden, allowing caregivers to focus on other critical needs of the residents, while IT departments can prioritize technology initiatives that impact facility operations.
- Provide a crisis-proof way for residents to stay connected: As seen during the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s essential for residents to have access to technology to stay connected with loved ones and receive important community updates. By providing tech support services, senior living communities can ensure that residents can use technology to stay in touch, regardless of the circumstances.
- Improve resident safety and security: Technology can also improve the safety and security of older adults in senior living communities. Wearable devices can monitor vital signs, while smart home technology can help to prevent accidents and emergencies. Tech support advisors can help residents learn to use these gadgets effectively and troubleshoot any issues.
- Increase resident happiness & satisfaction. By embracing technology, older adults can experience an improved quality of life that contributes to their overall happiness and satisfaction. With the guidance of tech support services, residents can discover new hobbies and interests, access a wide range of entertainment options, engage with community activities, and develop a greater sense of connection with others.
Personalized tech support for residents is becoming a must-have for modern senior living communities. Some forward-thinking operators like Watermark Retirement Communities (Arizona), Maplewood Senior Living (Connecticut), and United Methodist Communities (New Jersey) have already embraced these services. More recently, Capri Communities (Wisconsin) announced a partnership with Smarter to help their residents and staff maximize technology use. Smarter’s one-on-one tech appointments were fully booked within 24 hours, underscoring the high demand for personalized tech support in senior living. By working with companies like Smarter, communities can empower older adults with the confidence and skills they need to use technology effectively while reducing the burden on staff and meeting the evolving expectations of families. Providers that invest in innovative solutions are not only setting themselves apart from others but are also fulfilling their commitments to helping residents thrive.
Smarter is a membership service that provides personalized tech assistance to older adults and their families. Smarter Enterprise Solutions serve retirement living communities, catering to the unique technology needs of their residents and staff. For more information on Smarter, visit www.TheSmarterService.com.