The Myth and Realities Concerning Background Checks
There is No True National Search
When conducting a background search, it is imperative to check more than one source. There is a common misconception that there is a National Background Search that the general public can run, providing information from every jurisdiction in the United States. This is not true, as the only true National Background Search is the NCIC search, which is the FBI search. This search can only be done by law enforcement entities, and those specially trained by the FBI.
Many companies offer what they claim to be National Searches. These are not true national searches; they are multi-jurisdictional searches, searching selected jurisdictions across the United States. Some of these jurisdictions reporting are Department of Corrections, and Sexual Offender Registries. Not every jurisdiction is checked, and some states are not included at all in these searches. However, these searches are an excellent supplemental tool, but should not be used as the primary search tool.
In order to conduct a proper background search, the following steps should be taken:
1. RUN A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TRACE- THIS WILL TELL YOU WHERE A PERSON HAS LIVED IN THE PAST SEVEN TO TEN YEARS, AND IF THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER BELONGS TO THEM.
2. CHECK A STATE DATABASE OR A MULTIJURISDICTIONAL DATA BASE. DO NOT DO THIS AS A STAND ALONE SEARCH- DATABASES SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A STAND ALONE SEARCH.
3. RUN A HAND SEARCHED COUNTY CRIMINAL REPORT PULLED FROM THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE. THIS WILL GIVE YOU MUCH MORE CURRENT INFORMATION. THE CORRECT WAY TO RUN A BACKGROUND SCREEN IS TO CHECK EVERY COUNTY THE PERSON HAS LIVED IN FOR THE PAST SEVEN TO TEN YEARS.
4. RUN A FEDERAL CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK- FEDERAL OFFENSE WILL NOT SHOW UP DURING A STATE OR COUNTY SEARCH.
IF REQUESTED, CHECK DRIVING HISTORY AND CREDIT REPORT.
There are ways to check every jurisdiction in the United States. Individual county searches can be done utilizing trained researchers. By knowing where the person has lived, each of those counties can be checked. This can be done quite reasonably and in a short period of time. A good comprehensive background search can be done for under $75.
Make certain that you are conducting the proper background searches. Don’t be misled into believing that a statewide check will always supply you with all of the information you need. It won’t! A statewide search will not:
1. Report Criminal Records from other states
2. Report Federal Criminal Records
3. Report crimes committed in that state not sent in by the particular county in the state where the offense took place.
Two examples underscore the need to check more than just a statewide check. The first example deals with the person who committed crimes in four different states, Oregon, Alaska, Minnesota and Florida, one of which included murder. These crimes will not show up on a statewide check in states other than these four. And if the particular jurisdictions did not report the crimes, it will not show up The most recent example is the person who is now in custody in Harris County Texas on a manslaughter/murder charge who has a criminal record in Texas, Oregon, California, North Carolina, Oregon, and New Mexico. A state of Texas check would only have uncovered his record in the state of Texas, and that is only if counties in the state of Texas reported these records in a complete and timely manner.
Affordable Searches, a Texas -based company, offers comprehensive background search services at the county, state, and across the United States. We perform comprehensive reports at affordable prices on the searches needing to be done. We conduct searches in every county in the United States, as well as Federal Records, Driving Histories, and Statewide records. Our prices are very reasonable, and we do offer volume discounts. You will be assured of receiving a report that you can count on.
We welcome your inquiries, and would like to discuss our services with you.
281-494-6691 or 1-877-685-6691
- Save your searches and favorite listings with notes
- Map multiple listings
My Searches (0)
Senior Living and Care OptionsSenior Care